Who is who in the Chinese Standardization
- law-enforcement administrative organization of the State Council in the field of quality, metrology;
- entry-exit commodities inspection, entry-exit health quarantine, entry-exit animal and plant quarantine;
- certification, accreditation and standardization.
Function and Organizational Structure of AQSIQ
General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of the People’s Republic of China (AQSIQ) is a ministerial administrative organ directly under the State Council of the People’s Republic of China in charge of national quality, metrology, entry-exit commodity inspection, entry-exit health quarantine, entry-exit animal and plant quarantine, import-export food safety, certification and accreditation, standardization, as well as administrative law-enforcement.
AQSIQ has 19 in-house departments, i.e. General Office, Department of Legislation, Department of Quality Management, Department of Metrology, Department of Inspection and Quarantine Clearance, Department of Supervision on Health Quarantine, Department of Supervision on Animal and Plant Quarantine, Department of Supervision on Inspection, Bureau of Import and Export Food Safety, Bureau of Special Equipment Safety Supervision, Department of Supervision on Product Quality, Department of Supervision on Food Production, Department of Law Enforcement and Supervision [AQSIQ Office of Fight against Counterfeits], Department of International Cooperation(WTO Affairs Office), Department of Science and Technology, Department of Personnel, Department of Planning and Finance, Party Committee [PC] Office and Bureau of Retiree Cadres, In addition, assigned by the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of CPC and the Ministry of Supervision, a Discipline Inspection Team and the Inspection Bureau resident permanently in AQSIQ.
AQSIQ undertakes to administrate the Certification and Accreditation Administration of the P.R. China (CNCA) and the Standardization Administration of the P.R. China (SAC). Both authorized by the State Council CNCA is a vice-ministerial-level department, exercising the administrative responsibilities by undertaking unified management, supervision and overall coordination of certification and accreditation activities across the country, and SAC, which is also a vice-ministerial-level department, performs nationwide administrative responsibilities and carries out unified management for standardization across the country.
There are 15 direct affiliates of AQSIQ as follows, which offer technical support for AQSIQ decision-making and implementing. AQSIQ Service Center, AQSIQ information Center, Research Center for international inspection and Quarantine Standard and Technical Regulation, China Bureau of Fiber Inspection, Chinese Academy for Inspection and Quarantine, China National Institute of Standardization (CNIS), National Institute of Metrology(NIM), China Quality Certification Center (CQC), China National Accreditation Service for Conformity Assessment, China Special Equipment Inspection and Research Center (CSEI), Human Resource Development and Training Center, China Quality News, China Inspection and Quarantine Times, Standards Press of China(SPC), and China Metrology Publishing House.
The WTO/TBT and WTO/SPS National Enquiry Points of the P.R.C. are also located in AQSIQ.
Approved by the Ministry of Civil Affairs, 10 trade associations and federations are independently affiliated to AQSIQ. They are: China Entry/Exit Inspection and Quarantine Association, China International Travel Healthcare Association China Association for Quality Inspection, Chinese Measurement Association, China Certification and Accreditation Association, China Association for Standardization (CAS), Chinese Society for Measurement, China Trade Association for Anti-counterfeiting, China Association of Plant Engineering Consultants and China Association for Quality Promotion.
With purpose to perform the function of entry-exit inspection and quarantine, AQSIQ has set up in total 35 Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureaus (CIQ) in China’s 31 provinces, near 300 branches and more than 200 local offices across the country, with employees totaled over 30,000 in goods distributing center at sea ports, land ports and airports. AQSIQ provides direct leadership to all the CIQs.
The function of quality and technical supervision is performed through 31 provincial-level Bureaus of Quality and Technical Supervision, which, being the working departments of the respective provincial governments (and of autonomous regions, and municipalities), exercise the vertical management to the Bureaus of Quality and Technical Supervision below the provincial level. The total number of working staff engaged in quality and technical supervision is over 180,000 across the country. AQSIQ provides the provincial-level (and of autonomous regions, municipalities) Bureaus of Quality and Technical Supervision with technical guidance.
- Establishes and overseas Chinese national standards;
- Sets China’s annual national standards agenda;
- Represents China at ISO, IEC, PASC, etc.
Standardization Administration of the People’s Republic of China (SAC) was established in April 2001 and authorized by the State Council to exercise administrative responsibilities by undertaking unified management, supervision and overall coordination of standardization works in China.
SAC represents China to join the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and other international and regional standardization organizations. SAC is responsible for organizing the activities of Chinese National Committee for ISO and IEC.
SAC approves and organizes the implementation of international cooperation and exchanging projects on standardization.
- Take part in the drafting and amending national standardization laws and regulations; develop and implement national-level guidelines and policies for standardization work; develop relevant administration rules and institutions for national standardization work; organize to implement standardization laws, regulations, rules and institutions;
- Develop the national standardization development plan; organize, coordinate and develop the national standards (reference materials) development and revision plan;
- Organize the development and revision of national standards; take charge of the unified examination, approval, numbering and publishing of national standards;
- Manage the funding for national standards development and revision as well as ear-marking funds for standards research and standardization activities;
- Administrate and provide guidance for standardization technology and relevant publicity, education and training;
- Take charge of the coordination and management of national standardization technical committees;
- Coordinate and provide guidance for industry and provincial standardization; take charge of the registry and documentation of industry and local standards;
- Represent China to join ISO, IEC and other international or regional standardization organizations and undertake the national committee for ISO and IEC; administrate the work related to the participation in international or regional standardization activities; sign and execute international standards cooperation agreements, review and organize to implement international standardization cooperation and exchange projects; review the international participation activities in the standards field;
- Administrate the organization institution bar code and article numbering 10. Take charge of the publicity, implementation and promotion of national standards; supervise the application of national standards;
- Administrate the national standardization information work;
- Follow the arrangement and coordination of AQSIQ, properly manage the standards-related notification and consulting as per the WTO/TBT protocols;
- Undertake other tasks appointed by AQSIQ.
- CAS is under the leadership of the AQSIQ and is instructed in business by the SAC;
- Organizes academic seminars and arranges academy exchanges for both international and domestic experts;
- Publishes notifications of national standards and related standardization information.
- Conducts research on standardization in various fields
Standards Press of China (SPC)
- publishes national standards, professional standards and other scientific and technical books
- The highest state-level research center for metrology; the legal metrological technical center;
- Establishes national primary standards and national standards of measurement;
- Provides verification services and calibration services
- Ministerial level organization administrating overall laws and regulations relating to Information Industry
- Responsible for the publishing and distributing of electronic industrial standards (SJ);
- Testing Body for CCC products approved by CNCA, Testing Center accredited by CNACL;
- Secretariat for Chinese National Mirror Committee to JTC1 and IEC TC3/SC3D.
- Carries out research and survey activities on communications standardization system;
- Organizes technical seminars and research communications standards and related information.